View to East
View to West
The land is the site of former railway sidings purchased by the current owner, from British Rail, in 1986. The railway lines were removed in 1962 and the land has had no authorised use since, being described by the local authority as ‘derelict scrub land’ the council now consider the site to be a ‘greenfield site’. The land runs parallel to the active railway line and is accessed from the A590 via an approved entrance. There is a 7” gas main running along the boundary with the railway with water and electric available nearby. Drainage should be available via the recently constructed pumping station at Lowfield but interested parties should consult United Utilities.
The site is suitable for a number of uses other than housing. These include a garden centre, caravan site & sales, care home, motel, petrol filling station however prospective purchasers should consult with South Lakeland District Council.
PLANNING and the recent ‘ Land Allocations Framework’
‘The Council agreed that the Land Allocations document should not include housing and employment site allocations for small villages and hamlets (with a few exceptions – e.g. where such sites are well related to meeting needs in local, key or principal service centres). The Council considers that the development needs of small villages can be best met through the application of adopted Core Strategy policy when planning applications are made, or by local communities preparing their own Neighbourhood Development Plans under the Localism Act. ‘ Prospective purchasers can also see the recently published National Planning Policy Guidelines at: http://www.communities.gov.uk/publications/planningandbuilding/nppf
In 1892 a Sharp Stewart 0-6-0 locomotive fell into a hole and is thought to lie at a depth of 70 to 90 feet. The hole was located at a distance of 440 feet from the current bridge at Green Lane and was probably a ‘wash hole’ where an underground water course washed away the ‘sand’. This location was also the site of the original ‘Lowfield House’ which was taken down shortly after being built (circa 1860) due to subsidence. To the rear of the house there was a tunnel under the railway and this may have contributed to the collapse. There has been no record of subsidence since 1892 on this or any of the adjoining sites however the vendor would welcome a detailed site investigation prior to completion. Further details of the Big Hole can be found at http://lindal-in-furness.co.uk/Heritage/heritage.htm This website has full details of the Lost Locomotive, the collapse and photos of the former sidings, gas works, wagon repair shops and the farmhouse known as ‘Kirkstead’ all of which occupied the site in its heyday. The location of the engine would not interfere with any proposed development and it may be that there is an interested party wishing to recover the remains?